Saturday, August 6, 2011

Still Amazing After All These Years

In February my PEO chapter invited me to present a program on our six-month stint in New Zealand. I happily pulled together a picture-loaded powerpoint featuring highlights of our many adventures. The most difficult part was whittling down a lifetime of experiences into 15 riveting minutes.

Marie Whitesel happened to attend this PEO meeting and was happy to recall with me her own trip to New Zealand many years ago. Notwithstanding her 95 years, Marie is one of the most talented, saavy and inspiring women I've ever had the pleasure to call my friend.



I first became acquainted with Marie through the Medical Alliance - a social-service organization for spouses of physicians. Over the years, Marie has left impressive tracks both locally and throughout the State. She was once president of the state-wide Medical Auxiliary and has been a champion of education and, in particular, the University of Idaho. Marie also happens to be a well-known, highly regarded watercolor artist.



Following my presentation, Marie pulled me aside and said she wanted to paint one of the scenes featured in my powerpoint - a panoramic shot of Queen Charlotte Sound (of the Marlborough Sounds) taken during our camping trip on the South Island. I was thrilled that she had taken such a keen interest in my program and especially touched that she offered to capture one of our most special memories through watercolor.



The next day I mailed Marie a photograph of the slide she mentioned, and two weeks letter I received a call. Marie had completed the watercolor and invited Tom and me to her home to see if it we thought it was finished, too. We promptly jumped into the car and headed to Marie's beautiful home on Lake Coeur d'Alene. After spending a delightful afternoon with Marie, we declared that not only was the painting finished, it was glorious!



Next week, the University of Idaho is opening a month-long exhibit of Marie's latest watercolors - a fitting tribute to one of the University's biggest supporters and an opportunity for patrons to acquire a lovely work of art. I, of course, will be shamelessly proud that our own "Marie Whitesel Original" already hangs in a place of honor in our home on Hayden Lake.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a wonderful tribute to Marie and what a lovely watercolor she made for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate this post because it gives the back story on the LOVELY watercolor I was admiring on my last visit home. I feel like Marie painted the picture just for that space. I hope I have an amazing talent to share when I am 95!

    ReplyDelete