Monday, September 26, 2011

Farmers Market: Port Townsend-Style


After unpacking my bags, the next order of business was to scope out the time and location of Port Townsend's Farmers Market. I was delighted to learn that Port Townsend holds Wednesday and Saturday markets, so I immediately inked both events on my calendar.


I approached the Wednesday market from downtown, passing Haller Fountain before climbing the Terrace Steps which connects the upper and lower parts of the town.


Port Townsend was officially settled in 1851 and over time became noted for its vast collection of Victorian homes. At the top of Terrace Steps, I found myself in the neighborhood of these beautiful homes. I passed by the Bell Tower, built in 1890 and historically used for fire calls.


The Wednesday Market is small and takes over one block in Uptown Port Townsend. A handful of vendors were on hand to sell their produce - predominantly organic and beautifully displayed.


Later in the week, Tom joined me for the Saturday Farmers Market - a much larger affair, complete with flowers, upscale arts and crafts, and Kingston Trio-type entertainment.

1 comment:

  1. Port Townsend is really a gorgeous, charming place. Have they hired you on to write their travel brochure yet? You sure make me want to visit! :)

    ReplyDelete