Thursday, December 9, 2010

Imagine This








Our Upper West Side apartment was one block south of The Dakota - the apartment building best known as the location of John Lennon's murder. Our New York City visit coincided with the 30th anniversary of Lennon's death, so we found ourselves amidst the hoopla of those paying homage to the late, great musician.

That morning, we first walked to The Dakota and then across the street to Central Park. We made our way past media trucks, reporters, protesters, and mourning fans, to Strawberry Fields. Named for one of the Beatles' biggest hits, this 2.5 acre area of Central Park was established and dedicated in 1981 to honor Lennon's life.

A black and white mosaic featuring another Lennon song "Imagine" was designed to evoke a "vision and hope for a world without strife, war and conflict." On this day, the mosaic was especially adorned with flowers and other memorabilia, and it became a 24-hour vigil and gathering place for mourners.

We walked through the park and noted a bronze plaque listing 120 countries that contributed flowers and money for the maintenance of Strawberry Fields, endorsing this place as a Garden of Peace.

It was only fitting that I, too, should honor the life and music of John Lennon in my own way. For the rest of the day, I vowed to incorporate the title of a Beatles' song in every sentence I uttered. Before leaving the Park, we saw a Fool on the Hill - which was really Something. Better yet, I found a Penny on the Lane! Okay, enough - Let it Be. It was time to catch the subway, and I had a Ticket to Ride.

4 comments:

  1. I bet you were glad to "Get Back" and get some "Help" with all your unpacking since you've been "Here there and Everywhere".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good ones, JoAnn! So glad I Get By With a Little Help from My Friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are up to it again, Day Tripper! It looks like you had some Good Day Sunshine for your outdoor adventure in the park. The world really has Come Together from Across the Universe to remember John Lennon. You did so much during your short trip, it seems like you had Eight Days a Week!
    From Me to You,
    Love Me Do,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Want to Tell You that it was so great that we could Come Together for this trip to NYC. Every Little Thing we did was memorable and it was one of the best trips In My Life. I've Got a Feeling that we will be back if We Can Work it Out!
    Sarah
    P.S. I Love You!

    ReplyDelete