Sunday, June 19, 2011

Trying to Get Back on Track

Mom's Obituary
This is my first blog post in nearly 3 months. I have done some writing, however - just not blogs.

I wrote both the obituary and eulogy for Betty Jean Severeid Breckenfelder who died peacefully last month at the age of 89. I was honored and proud to document the life of my mother. These tasks gave me yet another opportunity to reflect on her very special life and the everlasting influences she had on my brothers, sisters, our children, and me.

All of us have stories about Mom, and there are some really good ones. But no one had more stories - and perhaps no one was a better storyteller than Mom. She had a natural gift for articulating anecdotes in an entertaining, very charming way. Mom was genuinely interested in the lives of those she touched. She looked for the good in people, and she expected to find it. And when she found the good in others, Mom developed just the right phraseology to convey it - then she shared it with everyone. Sometimes over and over. But that was okay, because Mom shared happy observations - always complimentary, and evidence of her great pride in our family and appreciation for others.

I learned so much from Mom - we all did. And I admired her many talents and abilities - singing, cooking, sewing, knitting, craftsmanship, teaching, and yes, storytelling. But perhaps what I admired most was her gift of hospitality. I would be hard-pressed to find anyone who more warmly opened their home or shared their heart more willingly than Mom. Mom was a great entertainer - our home at Christmas time was a virtual holiday Disneyland, and everyone was welcome. Her knack for storytelling and teaching made her historical Teddy Bear programs an absolute delight and a gift to those who heard them.

My favorite Bible passage is Hebrews 13: 1-2, "Let brotherly love continue - do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it."

I can only imagine all the angels Mom entertained in her 89 years.

Mom's Obituary

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back to the blogosphere Mom! The picture of you and Grandma Breck is so sweet- such a special moment. You certainly have a way with words. You hit many of the highlights of Grandma's long life and her legacy. Of course, I think you are a pretty outstanding product of Grandma's labor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tribute to Grandma Breck. The picture of you and Grandma is really cute - Becky sure looked a lot you when she was that age. I'm glad that you're back to blogging, Mom!

    ReplyDelete