Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Putting in a Plug for Plugging In





Our first few days in Fairbanks were unseasonably warm with freezing rain resulting in dangerously icy roads. Pretty much everything was closed or cancelled - the place was a virtual ghost town. By the weekend Fairbanks' more typical winter weather was back on track. With temperatures ranging from 10ºF to -20ºF, activity levels increased exponentially. Plugging your car into a block heater is the way of life and absolutely mandatory if you have any hope of starting your car.

3 comments:

  1. Brrr!! It was in the 70s here in Florida today... until a huge storm passed through and now the temperature has dropped to 50 degrees. It'll be chilly (40 degrees) for my fitness test in the morning, but I bet that sounds warm to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THIS is a fantastic cultural anecdote!

    Also, I could have used an extra energy source when my car battery died at 545am Saturday morning, but I'm sure my 2.5-mile trek was much more manageable than it would have been in your freezing temps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been over a week since our return from NYC...I'm eagerly awaiting the full recap of our awesome trip on your blog, Mom! :)

    ReplyDelete