Friday, July 1, 2011

Buried Treasure


While Sam attended his law firm's planning retreat at Priest Lake, our houseguest (make that backyard guest) Arney and I leashed up and headed to Honeysuckle Beach for some early morning exercise. It's nearly impossible to tire out Sam's Chesapeake Bay Retriever, but I gave it a shot.

While Arney was busy retrieving sticks thrown into Hayden Lake, I encountered a treasure hunter retrieving goodies on the beach. Armed with a metal detector, this fellow was looking for coins and jewelry left by sunbathers. With his $1500 tool, I watched him discover and unearth a penny and a soda can pull tab. Quite the return on his investment!


He explained that his more successful finds have included rings and watches, and his most profitable hunting grounds are beaches and playgrounds. Last summer he figured he found over $500 in coins alone. Hmm. On second thought, I just started my Christmas list.

2 comments:

  1. I love buried treasure! I didn't realize metal detectors cost such a pretty penny. Also, that Honeysuckle Beach sign is new to me. So fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely remembered this post when I was in California... the beaches are spotted with folks detecting metal. I can definitely see the appeal and the thrill of it.

    ReplyDelete