Sunday, March 25, 2012

Medical Mission in the Philippines: Final Thoughts


We returned from our medical mission trip in the Philippines nearly six weeks ago, so I've had plenty of time for reflection.

Starting with the numbers:
• 28 team members
• 9 days to set up, operate and pack up
• 133 major cases performed; 120 minor procedures
• $2500 contribution/volunteer for the opportunity to serve

Glad I packed:
• Rain parka
• Bug juice
• Old clothes, including my Birkenstocks
• Starbucks VIA
• iPhone

What surprised me most:
• The biggest international news we heard was the death of Whitney Houston

What I would do next time:
• Pack more gifts for people who showed us wonderful hospitality
• Take useful items for children we encounter - like toothbrushes or pens (rather than candy with wrappers that add to the litter problem and encourage begging)
• Buy more pearls

What I missed most:
• Safe drinking water
• Flush toilets and toilet paper
• Hot showers
• REAL showers of any temperature

What impressed me most
• How happy the Filipinos are with what we would consider to be very little
• The gratitude of those we helped - no sense of entitlement whatsoever - and the trust they placed in our medical team
• The wonder of Cipro!
• How much I take for granted

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great message!
    Duane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful encapsulation of your time in the Philippines! Don't forget this statistic:
    - 23 blog posts from the trip :)
    Enjoyed reading them all!

    ReplyDelete